Monday, May 21, 2012

25 Weeks

I'm creating this blog to track my progress and to document my ridiculous self-designed training. No one expects to win a lottery. But I did and it means I get to run NYC with thousands of new friends on 11/4/12. Frightened I won't be ready. Terrified I'm doing this for the wrong reasons. But I also believe in New York City. Will being tough and romantic (and obsessed with Woody Allen films) see me through? Can training in less-romantic Chicago prepare me? This will hurt. I will risk my whole heart. But that's romance.

So far I am only 'training' for a half in Chicago on 6/9. I recently took it from the treadmill at the gym to the lakefront. After the half, my full focus will fall on NYC and 'real' marathon training. I still feel like I'm faking it and that runners on the path are laughing at me wearing my "I'm In" hat from NYRR. They must think I borrowed it from someone.

Face it, you accept challenges like these because you're meant to and there's something important you're supposed to learn. If you're not facing your fears what good are you? Behind the dread is the Chrysler Building. And Central Park. And the Verrazano Bridge. A starting line and, hopefully, a finish line. And Jake Ryan waiting for me in a red Ferrari.

No comments:

Post a Comment